To ensure that the discharge of crude oil from the Santos Basin, using a fleet of Dynamically Positioned Shuttle Tankers (DPSTs), is performed safely and efficiently using Ship to Ship (STS) operations transferring cargo to the export conventional tankers.To ensure all operations are conducted in compliance with applicable International, National and local laws, Shell policies and procedures, industry guidelines and best practice to ensure safe, efficient operations whilst minimizing environmental impact.
The role is a member of a technical and operational team on a 24/7 basis and integrates their expertise to ensure vessels / fleet managers, terminal operators and STS Service Providers act in compliance with Shell standards and procedures, applicable government laws and industry guidelines, standards and procedures to achieve a safe, economic marine operation whilst minimizing environmental impact. The incumbent has a key role to play in ensuring that effective measures are in place to respond to all emergencies and oil spills.
- Comply with the Shell Brazil and Fleet Operations Manager – instructions and expectations.
- Liaise closely with Shell Brazil Upstream and Shell West on technical and commercial matters affecting the STS Transfer of oil from Brazil.
- Conduct their duties with high level of professionalism and impartiality in the role of Maritime Operations Superintendent providing a link between the STS Service Providers and Terminal Operators and the management teams of Shell Brazil, Shell West and STUSCO.
- Manage the technical aspects of the STS contracts that are in place either offshore or in port.
- Maintain current knowledge for the monitoring of all routine Health, Safety, Security and the Environment related matters including the analysis of accidents and incidents and share learning with the identified stakeholders. This includes the provision of advice to all parties when requested and the development of remedial action aimed at the prevention of recurrence.
- Have in place a robust lesson learned process, which is aligned with the groups reporting system and is seen to engage with key stakeholders to maximize value to the wider group.
- Develop and provide strategic operational support to a shipping business that supports Shells global energy marketing activities and requirements for Oil export from Brazil.
- Participates in a technical and operational team on a 24/7 basis in the identification and implementation of technical solutions to operating problems and innovation in support of continuous improvement in shipping operational performance.
- Ensure compliance with Shell group standards and procedures, applicable government laws and industry guidelines to achieve a safe, economic marine operation while minimizing environmental impact.
- Manage fleet performance initiatives, including oversight for the performance of STS Service Providers, vendors and others in the provision of their services to Shell in order to effectively plan, manage and coordinate daily shipping activities of all Shell chartered DPST vessels.
- Provide effective maritime incident response.
The DPST fleet operates in South America and incidents on board can impact the efficiencies of supply and optimization of the overall reputation of the Shell Group. To mitigate these risks Shell maintains a robust Incident Management capability.Employee participation in and support of the Shell Incident Management Team, is mandatory.
- With other members of the STUSCO Team, be jointly responsible for ensuring that policies, standards and business processes are developed that provide for the highest possible standards of management and operation of the asset.
- Participate in the response to shipping emergencies, especially STS emergencies and participating in a program of response exercises involving Group vessels and/or Group Business Units.
- Ensure along with dedicated HSSE Professionals in STS Service Providers that HSSE performance is effectively monitored, data analysis is undertaken and summary management information is prepared on a routine and ad-hoc basis.
- Actively promote the Health, Safety, Security and Environment and Quality Management policies of Shell Group to Third Parties involved with the STS operations either at sea or in port.
- Provide the interface between the key stakeholders – Asset Owner, Operator and STASCO/STUSCO.
DPST fleet operating out of Brazil, STS operations in Brazil and Uruguay.
- To ensure that the STS operation is managed and operated in full compliance with all applicable Industry standards, Flag State, Group and Company requirements and robust procedures are in place and that are available to monitor the proper implementation and any follow-up action.
- To ensure that effective arrangements are in place to manage shipping emergencies and that trained resources are always available to support response efforts.
- To represent the Company, as required, in the event of a major incident or accident. In fulfilling this challenge, must be available to travel worldwide at short notice at any time.
- Complex stakeholder management and prescriptive regulatory requirements for area of operation.
- Complex and technically challenging operation of STS transfers operating in a highly regulated environment.
RequirementsExperience and Qualifications required
- Deck Class I or II Certificate of Competency and experience as Chief Officer or Master on oil tankers operating STS operations. Preference would be for active STS experience with a STS Service Provider.
- Minimum of 1 year of Shore Side Management Experience is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ within Maritime industry with experience of the management, regulatory framework and marine transportation phases of Oil operations
- Trained and experienced in Shipping Emergency Response
- Must demonstrate tact and diplomacy and demonstrate a high degree of cross-cultural awareness along with experience of working with a global team.
- Demonstrate sound leadership capabilities and the ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
- Strength and depth in management and proven ability to effectively communicate that message, with ‘I care” personal commitment.
- Proven delivery in the following behavioral imperatives
- External Focus
- Commercial mindset
- Able to demonstrate strong behaviors as they apply to ‘Capacity’, ‘Achievement’ and ‘Relationships’.
- Must be resilient under pressure and able to communicate at all levels of the organization and with the Regulatory communities.
- Proficiency in English and Portuguese languages is essential.
LOCAL TERMS role – the successful candidate must have a work permit to work in Brazil without requering sponsorship now or in the future.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Brazil, Shell has been present for more than a century (since 1913), and was the first international oil company to produce oil in Brazil, in the Campos Basin, after the market was opened up to private investment. Currently, Shell is one of the largest energy companies in the Brazilian market.Shell in Brazil is also a major producer of lubricants and, through Raízen (a joint venture with a Brazilian energy and logistics group), invests in the production of sugar cane ethanol, a viable biofuel alternative for smarter and cleaner mobility in the future.We deliver energy responsibly, aiming to meet society’s energy demands today and in the future in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways. We operate safely with respect to our neighbors and work to minimize our environmental impact.We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.